Mary Thompson Skinner is a partner with Emanuel & Dunn based in the New Bern office, primarily concentrating her practice in the areas of estate and gift tax planning, estate administration and elder law . Ms. Skinner is certified by the NC State Bar as a Board Certified Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law. In addition, she is a Certified Public Accountant and applies this expertise to create added value for her clients. She also practices in the areas of income and fiduciary tax planning and preparation, estate and gift tax return preparation and business formation, including corporations, LLCs and professional associations.
Ms. Skinner is a member of the North Carolina Bar Association; the North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants; and the Craven, Carteret and Pamlico Bar Associations. She has a Bachelor of Science in business administration from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and received her Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina School of Law. She was licensed as a CPA by the State of North Carolina on January 6, 1978. Ms. Skinner is a native of Durham and practiced law in the Triangle for more than 20 years before moving to Pamlico County and joining Emanuel & Dunn in New Bern.
Ms. Skinner is an active member of the community and currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Coastal Women’s Shelter. She is a former president of the Junior League of Durham and Orange Counties and a former board member of the North Carolina Symphony.
- Estate and Gift Tax Planning and Estate Administration- Elder Law
- Income and Fiduciary Tax Planning and Preparation
- Business and Corporate Law
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S. (1976)
- University of North Carolina, J.D. (1981)
- Certified Public Accountant, North Carolina (1978)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina CPA Association
- Craven, Carteret and Pamlico Bar Associations
- Coastal Women’s Shelter, Board of Directors and Vice President
- Junior League of Durham and Orange Counties, Former President, Treasurer, and Board Member; and Member
- North Carolina Symphony, Former Board Member
- Volunteer Center of Durham, Former Board Member
- YWCA of Durham, Former Treasurer and Board Member
- North Carolina